Another assessment puts the potential collapse within 90 days, according to another US official.
Officials warn that there are multiple assessments with differing timelines.
However, such a collapse would represent a stunning defeat after the United States’ costly two-decade military campaign in Afghanistan. It would likely lead to the fall of the Afghan government and could imperil the US’ diplomatic presence on the ground, which Biden administration officials have vowed to maintain even after the troop withdrawal is complete.
Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said he would not comment on any intelligence “assessments coming out of Afghanistan,” at the beginning of a news briefing at the Pentagon on Wednesday.
“We continue to monitor the situation in Afghanistan closely,” Kirby said. “We are mindful of the deteriorating security situation, and our focus right now remains on supporting the Afghan forces in the field where and when feasible we can from the air, as well as completing our drawdown in a safe and orderly way.”
“Obviously it is a challenging security environment,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said on Tuesday, adding that the US posture at the embassy has not changed at this moment. “We are evaluating the threat environment on a daily basis.”
The Taliban gains — which have occurred much more rapidly than many US officials expected — have made the situation more urgent and sped up the conversations that have been happening for some time now, one source said.
The Taliban have overrun nine provincial capitals, including Kunduz, since Friday. Their capture of areas of the Baghlan province, which lies to the north of Kabul, has caught the attention of the US because the location is considered essential for the defense of the capital, according to the administration official.
Biden indicated on Tuesday that his plans for that withdrawal have not changed, saying, “We spent over a trillion dollars over 20 years. We trained and equipped with modern equipment over 300,000 Afghan forces. And Afghan leaders have to come together. We lost thousands — lost, death and injury, thousands of American personnel. They’ve got to fight for themselves, fight for their nation.”
“I think they are beginning to realize they have got to come together politically at the top. But we’re going to continue to keep our commitment, but I do not regret my decision,” he added.
Administration officials have consistently said there is no military solution to the conflict and have called for a political settlement between the Afghan government and the Taliban. The top US diplomat for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, traveled to Doha this week “to help formulate a joint international response to the rapidly deteriorating situation in Afghanistan,” the State Department announced Monday.
“In several planned rounds of meetings over three days, representatives from countries in the region and beyond as well as from multilateral organizations will press for a reduction of violence and ceasefire and a commitment not to recognize a government imposed by force,” the department said.
But Khalilzad himself conceded last week that the Taliban feel “emboldened” by their recent military gains in the country, and the State Department spokesperson acknowledged Tuesday that “the levels of violence do not appear consistent with what the Taliban pledged” in their 2020 agreement with the US.
Afghan Foreign Minister Mohammad Haneef Atmar said Wednesday that Afghanistan is “probably experiencing the most massive, brutal and opportunistic military campaign, a campaign of violence and terror by the Taliban, ever in the history of our country.”
He said that surge of violence began after Biden and NATO in April announced the unconditional withdrawal of their forces.
“We’ve lost already since mid-April over 6,000 people — 4,000 of them of our brave national security forces and over 2,000 from the civilians,” Atmar said in a conversation with the Australian Strategic Policy Institute. “The number of wounded would come to over 15,000 over the past couple of months. This is the highest figure we have ever experienced over the past two decades.”
CNN’s Ellie Kaufman contributed to this report.
Intelligence assessments warn Afghan capital could be cut off and collapse in coming months